Monday, 11 April 2016

Agent Peggy Carter, the hero we all need


Everyone expected that Peggy Carter would be just the superhero love interest... as it turned out, it was the superhero that was to be fridged for her to become the hero that everyone needed. A character lesser than her wouldn't be believed. She is unapologetically a woman in the 1940s, an era where they're seen as weak despite the fact that most worked the jobs that men left behind when they were carted to the war flawlessly. This shows in her knockout lipsticks that's an untamed red that flares even in darkness, her strong eyebrows and nail polish that glistens like blood,  kicking ass in heels and skirt; only wearing pants when the occasion calls for it and the fact she doesn't shy from colour. You'll see her rocking pink against green without losing an once of ferocity.  You don't have to sacrifice being a woman in this world to be equal with men. At all. Not once does she fade away so as not to harm the poor man's feelings, not once does she extinguish her flame. And this is why, goddamn Peggy Carter is my rolemodel.  

Her style encompasses timeless elements from its silhouettes to its refined sensibilities which is achieved with ease. Think Modcloth, which is more modern retro. Shirts, highwaisted anythings and calf length skirts. Crisp, practical and it's no a wonder how any space can contain the area she's in. Because of the era, skirts are longer and yet, rather than appear stifling, it radiates poise even when paired with a simple t-shirt. And this is why vintage doesn't bow down to contemporary, it enhances it. 


If there's an an item in my closet that should really have a restriction, it's shirts. Shirts in varying lengths, prints and number. Should they really however? They're immensely versatile. Even worn simply with denim is enough for a put together outfit. But paired with skirts? It's elevated to a phenomenal level of chicness. Hatsune Miku has shown me the light. .. I never thought that a shirt could behave as a dress with such a polished casualness. As it turns out, I've been looking in the wrong place when I thrift. The men's section is the perfect place to yield shirts long enough to be worn as a dress and I was duly rewarded for my assumption with a shirt that bore the print that is Tumblr's greatest love - the bathroom tile aesthetic for $6 no less.


High waisted trousers aren't new and a godsend for days when selfconsciouness hits a little strong as it skims over areas you just don't to think about, with the added bonus of providing contrasting shape. I've thought for the longest time that I'd be buried in either my skirts or skinny jeans. Bell bottom trousers or anything similar just struck me as something ungainly and frumpy. Oh how times have changed and how it can be one of the most easiest ways to incorporate unchallenged sophistication. 

And here I thought sailor suits were completely exiled into costume or tackiness. Of course it would be Peggy Carter to prove me wrong. But blue would cause it to fall into the trap of school uniform bracket. 


Coincidentally, I stumbled across a pair of pumps very similar to hers in a thrift store years ago. Reminiscent of this period, the heel is thicker so that one could operate seamlessly and who are we to argue with added balance and support? 

The time for shying away has passed. No one should feel the need to hide away. Ever. So we reunite the trifecta of red, in our lips, on our nails and atop our crowns and conquer the world. 

Have you accepted Peggy Carter as your supreme icon?

XX

Jeannie 

21 comments:

  1. being flawless while battling against patriarchy is my aesthetic. she's such a woman crush. i really dig her performance in captain america the first avenger. and she just gotten more badass in agent carter (the older ver of her is also amazing in ant-man albeit too short). her suit pants is the sole reason why i still latch on every single of my mom's pants haha. i need her besame lipstick sfm!

    xx http://tanaditya.co.vu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ACTUALLY HAVE HER LIPSTICK. I have Peggy Carter's lipstick and it is all kinds of amazing and empowering as you would think. If I had it my way, Peggy Carter would have an eternal footprint in Marvel

      Delete
  2. Totally in love your photo. Nice!
    Good vibes, FOX
    check out my latest VLOG and my blog
    www.rochellefox.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohh major love! i definitely love the shirt dress and the oldies blouse.. it's still very hard to find a blouse with such a vintage looking cut despite the trends coming back around these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heavily endorse thrift stores, it's like a portal into fashions' past

      Delete
  4. I love this post! Peggy Carter really is an inspiration, thank you for breaking it down. I'll need to watch the shows now.
    xoxo
    Serein
    http://sereinwu.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. please do, there's nothing more satisfying than seeing Peggy fight against men twice her size by ramming heavy objects into them!

      Delete
  5. Her costume wardrobe is simply stunning, I love vintage style!

    besos,
    M
    The Flower Duet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice!!!

    http://sbr-fashion-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great style!!

    www.emerjadesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. love her! someone once told me i look like the actress (i don't see it but took it as a compliment!) x http://www.the-beautiful-things.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. great post :) Love the Capitain America movie :)
    coral heels

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great style. Very interesting post. good job!
    Good vibes, FOX
    check out my latest VLOG and my blog
    www.rochellefox.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool post!

    http://shareasecretmag.com/

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love his style, so chic and glam! *_*
    Kiss
    Luna
    http://www.fashionsnobber.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing tips! Thank you so much for sharing
    xoxo

    http://www.myinfinitystyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. In major love with this post!
    http://www.flauntandcenter.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is actually one of best posts I've ever read ! ♥

    I really love it, it inspires me ♥

    xoxo . Violetta .

    http://itsmevioletta.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely post!

    http://chicglamstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a creative post... I love superhero movies/shows! She's definitely a great style icon to look to for fashion ideas :o) Red lipstick and accents all the way!!


    Amber
    All the Cute 🎀
    Today's Post: Jag Jeans: Sheridan Skinny

    ReplyDelete