Friday, 6 March 2015

Travel Gastronomy: Pumpkin Mochi Okonomiyaki カボチャ 餅 お好み焼き


A simple blog post for a simple dinner for when a stark bare fridge is staring right back at you, fangs glinting. I can see why pumpkin is such a tired ingredient, as soon as its cooked, it seems to collapse into an easy sauce. How curious! And although I've truly had the best takoyaki in the world, I didn't try Osaka's other speciality, okonomiyaki. Oh the shame, the horror. Sacrilegious! Trust me when I say I beat myself over it when I got back. I've tried to live without regret during this entire trip, but I'm afraid the language barrier raised a shyness in me, and I found myself avoiding people so I wouldn't have to speak to them. That was stupid. Never again. No matter, this recipe is the kind that arises from the joint need of wilting vegetables and a desperate attempt to have vegetables.

Thank god okonomiyaki, means 'however you life' grilled, as I'm sure this is an intense bastardisaton of a recipe. If you can call it that! For dinner I usually just throw everything together in a bowl with a sense of casualness and curt nonchalance. For baking there is a certain amount of care involved but not enough that would allow me to churn patisserie perfect desserts at at alarming accuracy. I added some squares of mochi for a jaw-aching chewiness and I'm a firm believer that Kewpie mayonnaise makes everything half decent. Typically, there are other toppings so feel free to make it as authentic as possible, but like I said, I was pining for Osaka, possessed an empty fridge and a demanding stomach, and it was how I liked so.. I think t's pretty authentic in my books haha. The mochi becomes delighfully crispy at the bottom too! Beat that expensive restaurants in Sydney that pale in comparison!

 Pumpkin Mochi Okonomiyaki カボチャ 餅 お好み焼き

100g flour
200g pumpkin
1 egg
100ml water
2 squares of dried mochi (chopped roughly into thinner squares)

Okonomiyaki sauce
Kewpie mayonnaise
Additional toppings such as nori, aonori, katsuobushi, cheese etc.

Cook pumpkin until soft and mash. Cool. Mix in all ingredients sans mochi. Ladle half into a liberally oiled saucepan on medium heat. Distribute mochi squares evenly across the surface.

Cover with lid, cook for 5 minutes. Flip and cook for 5 minutes. Brush with okonomiyaki sauce, kewpie mayonnaise and serve!

XX

Jeannie

15 comments:

  1. Oh! This looks delsih, wanna try it out but I'm on a dieet :( Yuuum <3
    xo xo
    Marina

    http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/2015/03/dont-worry-be-hippie.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food looks super yummmm!!!
    http://sepatuholig.blogspot.com
    instagram.com/grace_njio

    ReplyDelete
  3. The food looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg this looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. its looks delicious!

    Shalay,
    itsjustshalay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love okonomiyaki! creative recipe <3

    www.melianachen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so delicious!

    Kirsten x

    http://cocosouth.com
    https://www.facebook.com/cocosouthblog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh! That looks really good. I'm not the biggest fan of pumpkin but I know I have a few family members who'd love this

    XO naomi @ Naomi in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all great shots!

    www.dylanasuarez.com

    ReplyDelete