Wednesday, 25 February 2015

Travel Gastronomy: Japanese Hotcakes (ホットケーキ) with Apple Jam

Hotcakes with butter, apple jam and honey

Unsurprisingly, you adopt elements of eating habits that you inhabit with. During my Airbnb experiences, I've developed new tastes, new revelations which aren't limited to travel alone. We all have those friends that possess peculiar eating habits, through our eyes at least. I had a friend that brewed her milo, completely with milk and microwaved (bizarre). But these are a blessing in disguise, I've come away with a broader sense of mind, and breaking out of a culinary rut. On my first morning, the host offered me hotcakes and an apple jam of his invention. Now I don't know what magical apple spawned a jam of a pink hue, and I didn't quite replicate it, but it was enough to whet my desire and soothe the mind.

His secret to cooking delicious hotcakes? Copious amounts of butter of course. I had also developed a liking to maple syrup which I didn't have on hand, but I did have butter which melted into a pool of invitingness. Oh no.


Dice two apples, a squeeze of lemon juice, a hearty dash of vanilla, pinch of salt and 2 tablespoons of chia seeds as a thickener.


Cook for 15-20 minutes with 1 cup of water until soft, and mash half into a jam. For a touch of sweetness, I added 2 tablespoons of brown and white sugar. Moderation is the sweetest indulgence of life.


For the hot cakes, beat 2 large eggs, 200ml of milk and 1 teaspoon of vanilla for three minutes until foamy. Yes, you can't avoid it unfortunately.


FOAMY!


Whisk 200g (1 2/3 cups) all purpose flour, pinch of salt, 1 3/4 teaspoons of baking powder and 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon of sugar in a separate bowl before adding to beaten egg mixture. Careful not to overmix. LET BATTER REST FOR 15 MINUTES. This allows it to thicken slightly. 


Grease generously with butter. Ladle 1/4 cup increments and cook on medium high heat for approximately 2 minutes on each side until bubbles appear. (As you can see... I overcooked mine slightly.. so uh.. look after them as though they are a blooming infant, but that's why we have bloggers, to avoid their mistakes and succeed them). Serve immediately with whatever your cravings dictate! Simply with butter and lashings of maple syrup? Traditionally with cream and strawberries like a Japanese shortcake? Custard? Or the American route with salted caramel, oreos, chocolate etc. Or my combination of apple jam, nutella and ice cream.. surprisingly delicious.


Japanese Hotcakes (ホットケーキ) with Apple Jam

Apple Jam 

2 apples, diced. 
Dash of vanilla 
Pinch of salt 
Squeeze of lemon juice 
2 tablespoons chia seeds

Add all ingredients with 1 cup of water to a small pot and cook for 15-20mins until soft. Mash half for jamlike consistency. Cool, and store in a sterilised jar in the fridge.

Japanese Hotcakes (ホットケーキ)


Makes 8 large hotcakes
2 large eggs
200 milliliters milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200 grams all-purpose flour (scant 1 2/3 cups)
8 grams baking powder (1 3/4 teaspoon)
40 grams granulated sugar (1.4 ounces or 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon)
Beat the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract together until foamy, about 3 minutes at high speed using a hand or stand mixer.
Whisk the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. Gently and quickly mix the dry ingredients mix into the egg mixture. Then let the batter rest for at least 15 minutes, it will thicken slightly. 
Heat a heavy frying pan over medium heat. Grease frying pan with butter, with strong conviction. The pan is ready to use if a drop of water will skitter across the surface, evaporating immediately.
Ladle 1/4 cupfuls of the batter onto the pan. Cook on one side until bubbles begin to form and break, about 2 minutes. Then turn the pancakes and cook the other side until brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Turn over only once. Serve immediately, however your cravings demand. Enjoy!

XX

Jeannie


26 comments:

  1. What a great share this looks delicious! http:// lachiquitamissi.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must try this delicious recipe!
    http://fashion-soup.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This looks so delicious!

    XO Imke

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m in love with your blog! It was so interesting to read your posts and also I’d like to say that you have beautiful photos!
    p.s. new post - how I met Victoria Beckham http://www.dianacloudlet.com/2015/02/victoria-beckham-zip-pouch-met-victoria-beckham.html

    Diana Cloudlet
    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look incredible. I love that you used chia seeds as a thickener. Such a great idea.

    :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy!
    For day to day outfits and tricks follow my blog.
    http://www.pinmorella.com/
    Thanks!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay so I favorited this in my bookmarks so I can try this recipe this weekend! Looks amazing and great to eat! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The highest honour of a compliment! Ahaha. I send good luck to you that it turns out well!

      Delete
  8. Oh it looks yummy/
    Thanks for sharing.
    The photos are tempting.
    XO

    http://thebandwagonchic.blogspot.ae/

    ReplyDelete
  9. It look so yummy. I'll try do it asap!
    Have a nice day
    Valentina
    http://www.mybubblyzone.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my god these look so amazing!! I've been loving recipe posts at the minute but I am so busy I never get around to doing any! When I'm more free I definitely will!

    Clothing Conscious // Fashion & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. yummy, this makes be hungry even though I just had lunch

    www.thefashionfraction.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. yummy ! yummy ! yummy !:)

    http://allornothing-blog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. The apple jam sounds delicious! Very cool recipe!!

    ♥♥♥ xo,
    Amber
    All the Cute
    Latest Post: World Travels…Dreaming…

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. These look so delicious. I have to try making these for my hubby!
    Fash Boulevard

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, that looks so delicious! Amazing blog and post, darling!
    If you get a second, I'd love to hear your thoughts about my last post! :)

    - Mademoiselle S.

    http://www.mademoiselle-s-blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks super delicious!

    www.morning-elegance.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look delicious and super easy to make! Great post!

    -Kárin

    NEW POST!
    KÀRIN STYLES

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks delicious, thanks for the recipe ! It makes me hungry, now :)

    xoxo,
    http://www.kadi-lv.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this! Thanks a ton for sharing, gorg! Wishing you the best Sunday!

    Hope you can stop by my blog, for a fun little giveaway!

    xo. Nicole

    Evolution of Glam

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loving Disneyland. And I'm trying this recipe for sure!!

    www.emerjadesign.com

    ReplyDelete