Tuesday, 17 February 2015

Rain in Shimokitazawa


After Harajuku, this seconds the list of 'Places I can only go to once I've died and is actually hallucinating my life once more'. I prefer the charm of thrifting and vintage clothes so casually browsing through various blogs that covered Shimokitazawa.. was like looking at a fata morgana. Unrealistic reality. It's a town full of kitschy wonder and fashion that transcends the test of time. Quirky cafes, and quirkier stores... after semi unlocking this level, I beseech you to add Shimokitazawa to your itinerary if you are ever visiting Tokyo. No excuses. A few hours, and get lost. Really, the atmosphere is more chill, relaxed, not having to conform to the bustle of Harajuku.


See what I mean about charming cafes? Let's all agree to be honest here. Cafes are generally cookie cutter, ambience is of utmost importance. 

Anthrop
〒155-0031 Tōkyō-to, Setagaya-ku, Kitazawa, 2 Chome−26, Japan



I know, I know, eating Western food in Japan.. I'm a slave to my cravings and the the waft of delicious vanilla in the air that led me directly to his cafe. The meal above was a pancake set that cost 1000yen, where will I ever find something like this in Sydney? And yes, maple syrup, whipped cream and pancakes are luscious and delicious and I've been depriving myself of a classic, delicious combination out of foolish pretentiousness against the norm. 

Deli & Baking Co 

北沢2-29-2, Setagaya東京都 〒155-0031, Japan


Berry and Chocolate Mille Feuille Pancake Sandwich (350yen)
Stepped outside the previous cafe, groaning and possibly cradling my stomach, swearing off food for twenty minutes, saw the cafe from across the road, groaned and cursed my weakness. The pastry aspect was buttery, the custard glided across the tongue and the chocolate sponge in the centre helped suppress the suicidal urge my stomach was experiencing. But I could feebly make a small dent before I conceded defeat. I'm a sucker for a pretty face, at the very least, I've taken away dessert inspiration. 

j.s. pancake cafe
北沢2-26-20, 1F, 下北沢店 Setagaya東京都 〒155-0031, Japan
www.pancake.journal-standard.jp/




The jewellery here is out of this world. Literally. Psstt, follow my Instagram

Ekot 
2 Chome-26-18 Kitazawa, Setagaya, Tokyo 155-0031, Japan







Keep an eye out for signs on the ground! Imagine them as secret tunnels you can explore in games to create a deeper knowledge of maps in that particular world. Bicolore is a bit on the pricey side as it draws upon American vintage. 

Bicolore 
世田谷区北沢2-14-13 フタバビルB1F, Setagaya東京都 Japan
www.ameblo.jp/bicolore2012/


This store's name is not an exaggeration. Have you adequately prepared yourself for it?



It's like stepping into a neverending attic, into a treasure trove that a figment of my imagination could never be able to conjure. And it's the sister store to Small Change in Koenji.

Little Trip to Heaven 
2 Chome-26-14 Kitazawa, Setagaya, Tokyo 155-0031, Japan







Everything you could ever ask for all under the watchful eyes of an avian creature who's hue comes surely from its lifestyle. It's quite unfortunate that I'm a jumper junkie, luggage weight is a severe handicap. Again, Flamingo is heavily influenced by American vintage and do heed the price tags!

Flamingo 
2-25-12 Kitazawa, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo
www.tippirag.com/shopsyo_flamingo




They surely know how to advertise! 500yen? Even in Sydney are prices rarely this low.

Micmo 
Setagaya-ku, Tokyo Kitazawa 2-26-21 2F









The Shimokita Garage Department. No, you are not being led into the black market of vintage (although wouldn't that be splendid!). Here exists a nirvana of handmade crafts, curious objects and unique vintage clothes that are the unbelievable offerings of the thrift gods.  Fortunately, it caters to a myriad of styles, but at the very least, it's fun to please your eyes. So if you're short on hours, this would be like receiving a concentrated dose of the very essence of Shimokitazawa. Plus... 1000yen for knits?? On its official site, all the smaller stores have their own personal websites as well! Ahh, the internet, bringng travel to us from the comfort of our own beds.

Shimokita Garage Department 
東京都世田谷区北沢2丁目25−8
www.k-toyo.jp/frame.html






Another Don Don Down on Wednesday, this is where you breathe a sigh of relief and renew your faith in thrifting prices. And you can't rule out Raglamagla!

Raglamagla 
東京都世田谷区北沢2-30-10浜辺ビル201
http://ameblo.jp/ragla-magla/

Don Don Down on Wednesday 
〒155-0031 東京都世田谷区北沢2-30-13ファインコート 2F
www.dondondown.com



An example of how colourful and perky the town is. 


Accessories to embellish an army. 




Oh Shimokitazawa.. why did I leave you?

XX

Jeannie

11 comments:

  1. Amazing photos, I would love to visit Japan. Great blog post, enjoy your trip! :)

    Camille xo

    www.cococami.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg!!! so much shopping!! the clothing stores look so amazing!! so many fashionable pieces!! :D

    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOWWW!! My dream is to visit Japan one dayyy. Thanks for reminding me to stay true to my future vacations.
    Joua To The Rescue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow so much pictures and great resolutions, nice job on that! I cant wait to visit Japan one day and visit this place, fukouka, tokyo, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only I could go to Japane tomorrow, I would!

    ReplyDelete
  6. no worries, pancakes are accepted worldwide!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos!!!! The food looks delicious!!!!!!!!!

    www.mariannapapagiannopoulou.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been to Japan in years and your pictures make me miss it so much! I totally love the fashion there, so fun and colourful!

    Thanks for sharing these beautiful images!

    Helen xx
    http://CH1K.com

    PS. Only one week left to enter my Daniel Wellington Giveaway: http://ch1k.com/giveaway/daniel-wellington-giveaway/

    ReplyDelete
  9. your pics are amazing ! lovely place

    ReplyDelete
  10. this looks sooo soo soo amazing! thank you for this post i definitely gonna go there!!

    ReplyDelete