Thursday, 15 January 2015

A Glimpse into Shinsaibashi, Hep 5, EST and Daimaru


What up! Still breathing! Who would've thought?! The past fortnight has been mentally draining and above all other things, I'm in Japan! Or Kobe to be exact. I booked with Airbnb and I have been so glad to have chosen this place over a hotel. As I'm travelling by myself, during downtime I was aware of the associate loneliness. But staying with someone even just hearing them rustle away in another room is oddly comforting. Not only is the room fantastic for its price, but the hosts are extremely kind and bubbly! Oh and I can get places recommended to be by locals too which is a plus. Anyway! The next photos are of the walk from the apartment to the train station - admittedly as a means of marking each point so that I could find my way, like a solo Gretel but it is much too scenic to keep to myself!













I spent Day 1 familiarising myself with the train system, getting obligatorily lost of course as well as the time difference. Consequently, I arrive at Shinsaibashi - one of Osaka's oldest and busies shopping locations rather late. I only had a few hours to explore before I had to venture back. It's such a stark difference in climate from Sydney! At the moment it is a sweltering 34 degrees whilst here it hovers around.. 7 degrees haha. I'm holding up quite well surprisingly, and layers, yes. Can we please get this kind of winter back in Sydney??



Was that the heavenly chorus of angels I just heard?




 Imagine my surprise when I happened across Spinns! I've been yearning to go due to its umbrella like capacity, on one end it's a very strong street kind of style whilst the other swing precariously into the more feminine kind, pastel, soft.. all at very affordable prices!











Alright, be honest, how many colours of the same skirt are you allowed to possess before it becomes ludicrous?







I may have left my teenage years awhile ago but I may have squealed a bit. 














And to answer your question, yes, Let it Go was played on repeat, LOL. Another popular song choice is Taylor Swift.











The famous Glico Man!.. And the Takoyaki here is superb, effectively ruining Japanese food back in Sydney for me forever, sigh. 

Dotonbori Canal
You can say Japan has ... Frozen over HAHHAHA. 





It;s official, my wallet has been taken hostage and is under the mercy of this street. 





Funky, colourful assault on the eyes! I hope I won't be charged for inappropriateness but the heart cut outs were so interesting!





And that was Shinsaibashi! A very brief, tunnel vision view! Hilariously, I bought few clothes with the fullest intention of building up my wardrobe here, but I ended up leaving with very little.. but I couldn't just buy indiscriminately! So many stores left to explore! More styles daring to push the norm!

Day 2 was spent exploring the department stores in Umeda and overall, indulging in the omestic life. First stop, Hep 5, distinguishable by the great red Ferris wheel atop!


Fur lined anoraks for $60? Madness!


As soon as I saw this, I was resigned to desiring the whole store. 

























Sorry, the food displays amused me as they were unrealistically realistic. Entertained my simple mind. 





A whole level dedicated to an arcade, claw machines and purikuras! Also, spot the One Piece figurines as the most desirable prize! If I had any skill, I would wield Brook in victory, yohohoho. 


See that?.. It doesn't end.. it's like a rabbit's burrow!
The tour begins!






Candy Stripper! This is the epitome of adorable with sweetened edgy components.  


An idea of its neverending labyrinth capacity, 


I had only one, and only one objective here. 



Is this too much of a hint?


POKEEMONNNN CENTTTREEEEEEE. GOTTA BUY THEM ALL.


COSPLAYING PIKACHU




AHHHH. Ahem. Moment to compose myself. Unfortunately, they only have the more recent Pokemon in addition to the veteran celebrities - my sister was gutted that there was no Flareon or Growlithe haha, At this point, I was laden with extremeeelyyyy, bulky and hefty bags so despite the very youthful day, I had to turn back. Not too downhearted, I was in desperate need of groceries so that I could prepare my dinner on whim without continuing to broach the hospitality of my hosts. Ever been curious about a Japanese supermarket? 




If fish was as afforable as it is here, I will master it like I mastered baking!


 The maximum price the bento goes for is like $4.50AUD. WHAT? MADNESS.



The groceries to tide me over for the week. I finally got to try the Meltykiss chocolate (They are like $5-6 a box at home, what? Here it was like $2.50. And .. oh my god. Cursed, damned, delicious chocolate). Fruits and vegetables are sold singularly in Japan, as it's designed as a 1-2 day usage. Case in point, they sell loaves of breads containing two slices. Ahuh. That's right. But mainly, I was just missing my healthy food.


$4.50 for this sigh. You can't afford any satisfying food for that amount back home. This was lunch as shopping triumphs over sustenance! Sinfully, sweet potato tempura is delicious. 


Andddd this was dinner! I'm so used to having sweet potato pan seared but I've clearly I've been doing it a disservice.

Whew! This was lengthy! But that was my last couple of days! Japan at least Osaka/Kobe is so different from Sydney, it's like if Sydney was compressed three times over in a tiny space. Let me tell you, at night, magic happens and they city looks like an intricate web of twinkling Christmas lights. And, vending machines containing heated and cold drinks for $1 each every 100metres, what? And, and, the trains are heated! And so are the toilet seats! And Shiseido has a drugstore line, and, and, sigh. Japan. 

18 comments:

  1. You take absolutely amazing photos! I especially love seeing the clothing stores. The food looks really delicious, too--I can't believe it's so cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool photos! :)

    http://cocktaildressnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like an awesome place!

    xx danielle // shades of danielle // bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post!

    Check out my fave of the week:

    http://www.shopstyle.com/action/loadRetailerProductPage?id=464037773&pid=uid7441-25962271-17

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a glimpse into a different world! It's funny how many labels I recognize...and Frozen! :)

    -Jessica
    www.wearitforless.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, your photos gave me an instant flashback and extreme nostalgia. Have all the fun you can in Japan, it's such a wonderful place and I can't wait to go back one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to try Airbnb once in my life too.
    The stores had so many nice clothes and the supermarket had an interesting variety of products.
    This place looks beautiful as well.
    x
    Stella from a A Shiny Place

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved sifting through your photo diary! Beautiful work! xoxo

    -Lauren
    www.adornlafemme.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my Godness, I've always dreamed of traveling to Japan! I loved to see the pictures of the fashion stores around, japanese fashion is really cute and girly!
    Hope you had a great time!

    Amanda
    www.somethingfashion.es

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like its freezing there! Hopefully you found eveything okay out there in Shinsaibashi!

    xx,
    Marie

    http://www.LivRiot.com
    http://www.LivRiot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. These photos are AMAZING- you're making me want to travel so much! :)

    www.LittleJStyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute & so great...... I need to save money!!

    Romande
    http://deerromandeblog.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, it looks amazing! I love all the shops. I'd love to visit here someday!

    xx

    http://thestylecrusader.com/theblog/

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, so many amazing pictures. And those shops !!! I have never been to asia but i really want to and seeing this article makes me wanna go even more

    Love Imke
    https://colourfulmornings.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome! Amazing pictures and I would loooove to go there myself and visit each shop :D

    xx Nicki
    www.morning-elegance.com

    ReplyDelete