Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Adventures in Enmore


An extended sakura branch for my absence? I've been in a mood of sorts lately, it's difficult finding motivation to do anything at all. If breathing wasn't involuntary, I'd procrastinate existing as well. Thank goodness that there's no timestamp on them *ahem (was taken awhile ago). I'd forgotten how much I like exploring after confined to my room and assignments for so long. The kind where you jump from place to place, discovering new sights. In addition, it presented the perfect opportunity to practice using my new camera. Initially, we planned to be in Newtown as it possessed more exciting eats (and a vegan pizza I was most curious about) but my friend had a craving for waffles that begged to be satisfied, hence our proverbial X marks the spot was the Doughbox Diner on Enmore. Compared to Newtown, I say it's rougher and not as hipster but there are a few things to return back for, opshops and the Gallery Serpentine store to begin with. 

So our first stop was the Auburn Botanical Gardens for the blooming of the sakura blossoms. Last year, I befell upon the most tragic sight of coming too late, bare branches and decaying petals across the ground.. I made sure not to repeat that mistake! But then Sydney was plagued by a freak galestorm that lasted a good fortnight! Oh I languished and despaired, praying against an encore of last year. But then.. lo and behold! A clear day! Of course as I was waiting for the train, it began to sprinkle, but that's life for you. And I now know the secret behind couple photos! A tripod! Revolutionary! I always wondered if they roped some unfortunate soul into catching their romanticness in the act. I cringe at that image, experiencing third hand embarrassment. So it makes sense if a little temperamental. And whatever gets caught in a still image is a representation of reality right *sarcasm? Still, the couple that hogged the picturesque canopy of sakura took the loonnnggessttt of times using an immensely good camera to boot. Huh. I hope that it had more use in its contract than just couple photos!

To Enmore we headed for waffles. But before we stumbled upon it, we happened upon a curious display. At first glance, I thought it was a fetish store, until I saw a lolita dress. So, we ventured into the Gallery Serpentine store. At first blush, it appeared to be just that and steampunk inspired pieces (Corsets for $300?!?!) But, channeling Alice's intrigue garnered us this.

.

.

.  


BAM! I think I died of delight. But to preserve my cool image, I squealed internally instead. How about I allow you to walk through this visual pleasure? 






Why must you tempt me Japan? It's remarkable how marked up the prices were. Originally from there, yet here, they have the gall to slap on an extra $50 at least. Insanity. I spotted a skirt I liked, the design was glorious, the price was not. So gulping, we continued our journey to the diner. 


I, myself, was lured to the prospect of Crepe Cones. 


Very retro decor. 



Upon leaving, we were allowed lollipops. Which I am saving for a rainy day. Or post exam, whichever comes first.

Dr. Maddox: Hey, how come all you have in there (his briefcase) is a smiley face button and a revolver?

Ted: Well, one's in case I get sad.. and the other is in case I get really sad. 

Ahh Scrubs, til this day you are so quotable. 




Admittedly, I got a bit shutter happy. 


I don't entirely remember what I ordered. But it contained a lottttt of whipped cream, tim tams, marshmallows and milo. Eh. It was okay. I left most of it behind. Kind of regret ordering it since it's something I could so easily replicate at home and factor in my own preferences. But I think the appeal lay greater in the savoury variety. And yep, spot the friend who has a phone for an extended appendage. 


Our guest of the moment. Again, it was meh. The waffle was exceedingly eggy in taste so not my cup of tea. But being here was a great way to tie up the day in a neat little bow. 

Gallery Serpentine 

Shop 2, 112 Enmore Road, Enmore, NSW

Ph: +61 2 9557 5821.

Mon to Friday 10am to 6pm
Thursday 10am to 8pm
Saturday 10.30am to 5.30pm
Sunday 12noon until 5pm
http://www.galleryserpentine.com/

Doughbox Diner

137 Enmore Rd, Enmore, NSW
Tel: +61 (02) 9565 1995
Tuesday to Thursday 6pm-11pm
Friday and Saturday 6pm-12am
Sunday 6pm-10pm
Closed Mondays
http://doughboxdiner.com.au/

Till next time! More adventures lurk on the horizon!
XX

Jeannie

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! I wish I can just stumble upon a store selling cute lolita dresses, too.

    ReplyDelete