Sunday, 17 August 2014

Easy Caramelised Generic White Chocolate


I have a friend who is the biggest fiend for white chocolate. I never really understood why, finding it far too sweet. As you can infer, I much prefer its darker kin. White chocolate can languish away for months on a shelf in my fridge, in favour of the dark. But this.. this, I can eat by the spoonful. That richness, that lusciousess.. Oh. My. God. Oh. My. God. Did I repeat that? Only because it bears repeating. 

And it has a long shelf life. Assuming that I've hidden it from view well enough. I used a generic white chocolate from the supermarket because I don't even know where to begin searching for good quality chocolate like Valrhona.. nor do I want to spend a lot of money. So what I did was to cook it at a lower temperature. The only downside is that it requires a lot more time. But it works! The last time I made it it was a chalky mess, but this time.. DELICIOUS. Thus, when you feel like procrastinating, when is a better time to make yourself some caramelised white chocolate? Just envision it. Mixed in brownies. Cheesecakes. Ice cream. Frosting... eaten out of a jar with a spoon.. am I getting ahead of myself? 

Caramelised White Chocolate 

Ingredients 

250g (about 9oz) white chocolate, chopped into small pieces
A pinch of sea salt

Preheat oven to 100°C (212°F). Place white chocolate pieces in a large baking dish/sheet and heat for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and spread with a dry, clean spatula. Return to the oven and continue to cook for 40-70minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until the mixture is a deep-golden brown. Don't freak out if the mixture starts to get dry and chalky. Just be patient and stir the mixture and it should smooth out. Remove from the oven and stir in sea salt. Pour into jar and store at room temperature. Once cool, it solidifies. To use, microwave in 10 second intervals or to sit in a bowl of warm water. 

XX 

Jeannie

No comments:

Post a Comment